Veterans in My Classes

Veterans in My Classes

by Alissia Lingaur -
Number of replies: 0

The final statistic of this case study is staggering: only 3% of veterans will graduate? Wow. We have to do better than that. Although I was aware that many veterans will need to sit near a door or in view of the exit, I didn't know how vulnerable they are to dropping out. This inspires me to be even more out-going in connecting with my veterans and maintaining support as we move through the semester. Both PTSD and TBI are significant influences on veteran students' success or lack thereof, and though I have had students with significant mental illnesses in my classes, these other physical and emotional conditions would require flexibility in deadlines and accommodations. I would also encourage students to seek help at the WRC and tutoring centers as well as utilize our counseling professionals. I am always willing to deliver content in multiple ways as well, and would like to incorporate more recorded lessons or light board lessons for any online courses though this will not be possible until after the corona virus has decreased immensely.