Veterans and Online Course

Veterans and Online Course

by Dianne Owens -
Number of replies: 0

Challenges Veterans May Face (Online Course):

I think we have to look at each individual, of course, but some of the common challenges could include technical issues, computer literacy, and time management. For some veterans, these may be hindrances, but for others they may actually be strengths.

Isolation may be an issue for some veterans.

Addressing Such Challenges:

I like to get to know students’ strengths, needs, interests through questionnaires, icebreakers, etc. I can then offer specific help. It may be directing a student to the Student Tutorials on Moodle or to the myriad resources NMC offers such as the Student Success Center.

Veterans who take online courses may experience isolation and desire “community” or comradery (camaraderie). Online forums can be one way to create community. Instructor created videos may help. Outside of class, Teresa Scollon’s writing workshops for veterans may appeal to such students.  NMC has won awards for veteran services: “Best for Vets” colleges  and “Military Friendly” School award. Scott Herzog is the go-to resource here.

Depending on the student’s specific needs, I would direct him/her to the most appropriate resources.  Like any student, a veteran would benefit from the Writing and Reading Center but may not feel comfortable in such a setting as the noise level can be quite loud. The WRC offers phones conferences that may work for this student. Zoom, web conferencing, set up by the instructor, is another option.

One of the veteran’s in the video said, “ I want to leave . . . get safe as possible” (while attending a F2F class). Online courses may be a haven to such a student.