Veterans in the Classroom

Veterans in the Classroom

by Troy Robertson -
Number of replies: 0

I have an advantage, as I approach this question as a veteran myself.  Veterans are used to working as part of a team, or as the leader of a team, with a structured chain of command.  Many of them also need to practice the leadership skills they have developed during their active duty time.  Some of them just need to be part of a team, without leaning on them too much.  They did there time.  They are not a homogeneous group.  They are all different from each other as much as they are alike as veterans.  I try to do more listening than talking.  They don't waste words; they just want to contribute to "the mission."  The mission is different now, but it is still a mission to them, where it might not be to others.  Especially for veterans who still have guard and reserve commitments, scheduling slack is necessary to fulfill official obligations, as well as for "down time." when needed.  Keeping the classroom quietly focused is important, as are provisions for preferred seating, breaks etc.  Some have seen or unseen disabilities that must be recognized and allowed for, without a lot of comment, especially for combat veterans, which is a special category.  The veteran presence adds a lot to the classroom, more than the challenges it brings to it.