Veterans transitioning to marine engineers, addressing challenges and needs.

Veterans transitioning to marine engineers, addressing challenges and needs.

by Karl Schroeder -
Number of replies: 0

Depending upon branch of service, many veterans are familiar with life aboard ship, and the basic  tools, equipment, and some, though not necessarily all of the interrelations of that equipment.  Even veterans who never served aboard ship, have lived in isolation with strangers upon whom they have had to depend as comrades, under a rigidly hierarchical structure.  The discipline and drive of veterans as students can help them, with the support of college services such as the tutoring office, mentoring, the college veterans services office, writing resource center, and student success center, to overcome the challenges they face ranging from PTSD and hyper-vigilance / anxiety to the challenges other non-traditional students face like unfamiliarity with some of the educational technology used in the course, the more adult stressors of daily life making it difficult to concentrate on a course, and so on.  Referring them early to the resources that are available, encouraging them to keep an open dialog with me so I can help them with a troublesome concept, or alter the way in which something is being presented to reduce its risk of being a "trigger" 

I think the primary difference in how I would assist a veteran vs another student facing similar challenges would be the resources I might point them to first, in order to aid them in overcoming the challenge impeding their learning.