Veterans in American Politics Class

Veterans in American Politics Class

by Sara Swanson -
Number of replies: 0

In an American Politics class, veterans may face many challenges.  We will be discussing different political view points, historical wars that led to the formation of our country, current military conflicts and the political responses to disputes with other countries.  Some students in the class may be opposed to military intervention, and may be against wars in which our veterans have served.  Also, discussing past wars or current military conflicts may trigger difficult memories for veterans.  

As the professor, I can lead the discussion in such a way that students are tolerant of different view points.  I need to ensure that students are always respectful of each other.  If we are discussing a war or conflict that causes a veteran to become uncomfortable, I need to allow him or her to take a break from the discussion or leave the classroom if necessary.  Every person and every veteran handles stress differently.  I will do my best to accommodate the individual needs of each student.

Veterans needs may be different because they are experiencing college at a different stage of their life than many other students.  Many students start college immediately after high school.  Veterans have served in the military since attending high school.  The material may not be as fresh to them.  Also, they have had many experiences that most college students have not.  Discussions in the classroom may trigger traumatic memories, or the veterans may be experiencing memory loss.