Voices of Vets Discussion

Voices of Vets Discussion

by Brittany Locke -
Number of replies: 0

1. In my online course, veterans may be challenged with their attention span or focus on the material depending on their environment. After reviewing the video, I think veterans may be working through what works for them as far as their most affective environment to be able to focus on the material they are learning. They need a safe, confident space to work in and if they don't that can be challenging for them to effectively learn. This in turn creates a difficulty in being able to manage course loads or needing extra attention from the instructor of the course. 

2. I would try to help work through the issues with the veteran, identifying what makes them feel most comfortable when learning and special requirements they may have to be able to focus. While working through these challenges, being understanding and flexible is key. It's definitely not a one size fits all situation. I would also suggest any campus resources that may help them overcome these difficulties in learning and adapting to college life after the military. Utilizing the different aspects and features of Moodle can help create different modes of content to get information across to students facing challenges. 

3. Other types of students who may need help with online course delivery and instruction are those with other physical/mental challenges. Also, older aged students who may not be tech savvy, those with social challenges and people with environmental difficulties (home life, work life, etc).