Veterans in the Online Classroom

Veterans in the Online Classroom

by Madelyn Ek -
Number of replies: 0

1. It is important to remember that veterans have been a part of events the typical civilian has not experienced. These experiences can cause distraction, increase emotions which can cause someone to be impacted physically, and seem scattered or distracted amongst other things. They may not have been part of a formal education for quite some time and therefore may struggle with assignments and due dates.   

2. First and foremost, everyone should be treated with respect and understanding. These are things I live by. When individuals with traumatic backgrounds express their experiences, it might be in the form of quirks. These quirks can manifest in many different ways, but overall can be addressed in the same fashion- compassion. If I had a student display some for a a quirk that negatively impacted their schooling, I would keep in the back of my mind that they may have experienced something that is causing it. If the student is not communicating with me about why something is happening, I may reach out and set up a zoom meeting to discuss some options and approach the topic with "how can we finish this class together".

3. Veterans may have experienced some events that the average civilian has not and will not. I always keep in mind that I do not know anyone's complete story and therefore should approach everyone with this understanding. Meeting a veterans needs could be different because they may be experiencing things mentally I have not considered, they may be sensitive to areas, subjects, ideas, the average civilian may not. It will be important to keep that in mind.