Veterans in the online classroom.

Veterans in the online classroom.

by Ben Minor -
Number of replies: 0

I think that one of the primary challenges a Vet has in the on line course is making the personal connection that can be had in the face to face class.  I can more readily create a relationship and a trust in face to face that will be more difficult in a distance learning environment.  This relationship leads to a comfort that in turn leads to better outcomes in the class.  

To address these concerns there has to be a concerted effort to allow the class to access me as an instructor, and to actually reach out when not sought out.  Also creating opportunities for the students to interact and create relationships with in the class.  In maritime these students will go through the next 4 years of the program together.  Under normal circumstances they are able to create relationships that build into a support system.  This will be a greater challenge in the online delivery.

A huge difference in meeting their needs is being aware that they are often at a different place than others.  They are often more mature and have seen more of life, and quite often are looking for a different style of interaction.  Also I feel that a big part of our meeting of the veterans needs is accomplished by getting them to the right resources, that are better equipped to meet the needs of a veteran.