Voices of Vets

Voices of Vets

by Bryan Linck -
Number of replies: 0

Vets should be treated like any of your other students, with an understanding that some may need additional support. Some challenges that some veterans may face could be attention issues, memory issues, issues with being reminded of their service/PTSD. I think communication is a key to dealing with any of these issues; finding out from the Vet, how we can support and what they may need to be successful in the course, since everyones need may be different. I think it's also important to make them feel safe and an important part of the course. Like it mentioned in the video, some vets have had a lot of diverse experiences and may be able to add valuable insight into the class discussions. I think meeting a Veteran's needs shouldn't be a lot different from meeting other students' needs. You need to understand the student first and make accommodations that are specific for that person. The main difference is that we may not be able to empathize with what they are going through, and there are different resources available for service men and women.