Veterans in the classroom

Veterans in the classroom

by Nancy Gray -
Number of replies: 0

Veterans may be dealing with anxiety, PTSD, TBIs and other fears.  I usually talk with them as soon as I've identified them.  I always thank them for their service in front of the entire class because I want them to feel welcomed and honored.  I also let them sit where they feel comfortable and make sure that others respect their needs, and I make sure they understand they can leave if they need to, collect themselves and come back when they're ready.  As with all student/teacher relationships, communication is the most important thing to remember.  We have to initiate conversations throughout our time with specific veterans and help them advocate for their needs.  I always make sure they connect with Scott and make sure they know what's available to them.  I've also noticed with some vets that if I act as the commanding officer they react differently.  Many of them do not want a friend; they want someone available and ready to help, show them what they need to do and someone who expects good work and good follow through.  If I let them know exactly what I expect, and I let them know exactly what they need to do to improve, including using the WRC and success coaching, they will succeed in my classes.