General forums

Forum Description Discussions
Announcements
General news and announcements
Got a question? Post it here.
If you have a course question, feel free to post it here. I'll do my best to provide an answer as soon as possible. 

Learning forums

Topic Forum Description Discussions
Week 1: Introduction to Technical Writing Week 1 Idea and Feedback Forum -- Initial Post DUE 8/29; Responses DUE 9/1

In the course readings this week you read a little about legal and liability issues that technical writers face. One often overlooked issue relating to liability is personal liability in email, texts and social media posts. Our course textbooks don't really discuss this issue so, in this forum, I want you to think about your personal experiences involving texting, emails and social media posts about work. 

• Do you know someone who got in trouble at work for an inappropriate text, email or ...
Week 3: Ethics in Technical Writing Week 3 Forum: Credo -- Initial Posts DUE 9/12; Responses DUE 9/15

Assignment

A credo is a statement of belief. The readings this week focus on professional ethics but professional ethics cannot be easily separated from your personal values and beliefs. For this forum, zero in on one personal core belief or value and explain why it is so important to you. Although it isn't required, you're encouraged to record a video to post your credo. You can do this using the "Record video" button in the Moodle editor (but you'll need a webcam and a microphone): 

If you do...

Week 6: Writing Instructions Week 6 Forum: Post and Follow Instructions -- Initial post due 10/3 Responses due 10/5

STEP 1 : Post your instructions. Your title should reflect the subject of the instructions. See Application Assignment #5 for more instructions on your instructions. (5 points).

STEPS 2 & 3: Read and respond to the instructions posted by each classmate in your group. Respond to classmates by hitting the "Reply" link below your classmates' posts. (10 points).

• Does everything make sense in the instructions?
  • Even if you're unfamiliar with the process, do the instructions seem complete, or are they ...
Week 8: Resumes & Job Searches Week 8 Forum -- Personal Job Application Experiences -- Initial Post DUE 10/16; Responses due 10/18
This week I'd like you to reflect on your personal job application experiences. Use any or all of the questions below to compose your initial response: 
  • How many jobs have you had in your life? 
  • What was your most memorable job application/interview experience?
  • Have you ever not been hired for a job although you were qualified? 
  • What are the most enjoyable/least enjoyable jobs you've ever had? 
You do not have to list employers by name.  Just let us know what type of employer it was - hospital, ...
Week 13: Progress Report #1: Research Week 13 Final Project Topic & Focus Forum -- Posts DUE 11/20, Feedback DUE 11/22

In this forum, please share your idea for your Final Project topic and the theoretical audience for your the technical report. Tell us a little bit about why you picked this topic. Tell us a little bit about what you hope to learn. Write at least 100 words (6 points). Please feel free to use the audio or video options in the editor to record your response: 

For full credit, respond to two of your classmates' posts. Responses should be more than a simple "I like this idea." Offer suggestions on...