General forums

Forum Description Discussions
Announcements
General news and announcements

Learning forums

Topic Forum Description Discussions
Unit 1 Comparative Religion & Religious Response 8/24/19-9/7/19 Unit 1 Comparative Religion Discussion Forum

Read and respond to the discussion question prompt below. Read the sample student responses to get an idea of what I'm looking for your response. This forum is worth 20 points.

Discussion Question Prompt: In this section of the course, we are discussing the emergence of the field of Comparative Religion. Why might it be important to consider this when beginning our study this semester?

Sample Student Responses

• Initial post due Wednesday, 1/16/19 at 11:59 pm (10 points).
  • Responses to two other ...
Unit 1 Current Event Discussion Forum

Read and respond to the discussion question prompt below. Read the sample student responses to get an idea of what I'm looking for your response. This forum is worth 20 points.

Discussion Question Prompt: Find a current event related to religion, post the event link, tell us about the event, and offer one discussion question prompt for your fellow students.

Sample Student Responses

• Initial post due Wednesday, 9/4/19 at 11:59 pm (10 points).
  • Responses to two other students, and responses to ...
Unit 2 - Hinduism 9/8/19-9/21/19 Unit 2 Comparative Religion Discussion Forum

Discussion Question Prompt: In this section of the course, we are discussing Hinduism. We know that Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world. How would you rate, in general, the level of knowledge about Hinduism in the West given the number of adherents? Why do you think this is the case, and how do you feel ...

Unit 3 - Zoroastrians 9/22/19-10/5/19 Unit 3 Comparative Religion Discussion Forum

Discussion Question Prompt: In this section of the course, we are discussing Zoroastrianism. This is a religion that many people don't know much about - share with the class one thing that you've learned so far that you've found particularly interesting and why. Don't forget to include a prompt for your fellow students ...

Unit 3 Current Event Discussion Forum

Discussion Question Prompt: Find a current event related to religion, post the event link, tell us about the event, and offer one discussion question prompt for your fellow students.

Sample Student Responses

• Initial post due Wednesday, 10/2/19 at 11:59 pm (10 points).
Unit 4 - Buddhism 10/6/19-10/19/19 Unit 4 Comparative Religion Discussion Forum

Discussion Question Prompt: In this section of the course, we are discussing Buddhism. The concept of mindfulness is important in Buddhist thought, and it has likewise become a relatively mainstream idea in the West. What do you think of the current popularity of mindfulness? Do you think practitioners are aware of the ...

Unit 5 - Chinese Religions 10/20/19-11/2/19 Unit 5 Comparative Religion Discussion Forum

Discussion Question Prompt: In this section of the course, we are discussing Chinese Religion(s). In Taoism, we have the concept of Wu Wei. What might this look like if it were applied to modern Western life (like YOUR life)?

Sample Student Responses

• Initial post due Wednesday, 10/23/19 at 11:59 pm (10 points).
  • Responses ...
Unit 5 Current Event Discussion Forum

Sample Student Responses

• Initial post due Wednesday, 10/30/19 at 11:59 pm (10 points).
Unit 6 - NRMS 11/3/19-11/16/19 Unit 6 Comparative Religion Discussion Forum

Discussion Question Prompt: In this section of the course, we are discussing New Religious Movements. Why might it be important to consider them as part of our study this semester? What role do you see them playing historically and in the modern world?

Sample Student Responses

• Initial post due Wednesday, 11/6/19 at 11:59 ...
Unit 7 - Religion in the Public Sphere 11/17/19-12/14/19 Unit 7 Comparative Religion Discussion Forum

Read and respond to the discussion question prompt below. Please review the sample student responses in Unit 1 to get an idea of what I'm looking for your response. This forum is worth 20 points.

Discussion Question Prompt: In this section of the course, we are discussing American's Interfaith Infrastructure and Religion in the Public Sphere. Please visit the Interfaith Youth Core's website and review their mission, vision and work: https://www.ifyc.org/.

What is the work that they are doing, ...

Unit 7 Current Event Discussion Forum

Discussion Question Prompt: Rather than finding a current event this week, please consider the question from Dr. Eboo Patel: "What do we miss when we don't consider the religious dimensions of a situation?" Offer one discussion question prompt for your fellow students.

Sample Student Responses

• Initial post due Wednesday ...