Module 3 Discussion Forum

Re: Module 3 Discussion Forum

by Grant McKay -
Number of replies: 0
Providing educational feedback on a regular basis to an online student is extremely important in their academic success. Online students don't have the opportunity to ask questions and receive responses in "real-time" compared to face-to-face students regarding course content and clarification of materials and instruction. This lack of instant feedback, clarification and reassurance can create a gap in learning and lead to student anxiety and frustration. To me, "timely regular feedback" for an online student first involves a pre-discussion of the upcoming week's learning goals to help clarify and answer questions the students may have before beginning their week's assignments. If any questions or concerns arise after the week begins, I feel a response within a couple of hours after a question is asked is within an appropriate timeframe. This allows the student not to be too delayed with continuing their work and the instructor some reasonable time to respond.
I don't believe that there is such a thing as too much feedback for a student as long as the student is seeking the response and open to what is being shared. The hope would be that the more feedback (communication) that is provided; the student would gain a better understanding of the assignment which would assist them in being more successful in the course.
A numerical result in a gradebook is a form of feedback; however, if communication was paired with the result to help explain how/why the student earned the specific grade, the student could gain better insight of how to improve future scores.

Thank you,
Grant