Module 3 Discussion Forum

Re: Module 3 Discussion Forum

by Cathlyn Sommerfield -
Number of replies: 0
To me, regular feedback in a timely manner means within 7-10 days of test/assignment submission. It's my goal to provide feedback within this timeframe, which I share with students in the course syllabus. If there are circumstances that may extend this period, I let students know as soon as possible.

As others have stated, I do not think there is such a thing as too much feedback, if it is concise and meaningful.
Checking in to be sure feedback is meaningful can be enlightening - I always encourage students to reach back out if further feedback or clarification is needed.

At UC Santa Cruz all courses were (not sure if this is still the case) set up as pass/fail, with professors providing each student with written evaluations on course performance. In most cases this was an outstanding measure of course performance, but occasionally feedback was not as meaningful and a student merely knew they passed the course. Given this experience/context I do believe grades are a source of feedback, but never a stand alone source - associated, ongoing, written commentary is necessary for meaningfulness.