Module 1 Discussion Forum

Re: Module 1 Discussion Forum

by Brittany Roeper -
Number of replies: 0
In an in-person course, I spend the first day going over class policies and basic syllabus information. After that, it's online for students to access. Students introduce themselves on Day 1 with the usual "name, area of study, interesting fact" format, but we have writing exercises each class that allow them to learn more about each other.
Online, the big challenge is getting students to actively engage and participate. They ultimately have the onus to contribute to the class environment. I can't offer the same kinds of encouragement, and they don't get the same kinds of social feedback.
In the livestream course I taught last semester, I followed the same format as I would in-person. The class was later in the evening, so students were more relaxed. They also spent a significant amount of each class in breakout rooms, so they had a chance to chat with each other. That group of students developed good chemistry, which I think was because they could "let their hair down" a little more than if it were early morning in an NMC classroom.